Sunday, February 10, 2013

Perhaps I am missing the point of the unique and very creative intentions behind electronic literature because I attempted to lay over top the reading of Twelve Blue an approach I encourage my students to use.  The story's use of threads or yarns as a way to move through the story reminded me of my advice to kids to look for patterns within an author's writing whether it be one piece or his life's work.  I started reading Twelve Blue by only clicking on the yellow thread.  I thought consistency would provide continuity within the story's characters and events.  The yellow thread initially provided (3 screens) some "sense", but soon I found myself reading about new people and new events with no apparent connections.  I thoroughly enjoyed the author's descriptions of setting and emotions (less so the plot) because I found the descriptions poetic and provocative. The further I went into Twelve Blue via the yellow thread the more confused I became, however.  For my second attempt with the  reading, I clicked on only threads whose arch was upwards; I was curious to see if the upwards arc meant a more positive or uplifting trend in the events.  (In school we are reading Macbeth Acts 4 and 5 and everyone is dying.  A little positive energy seemed a good idea to me.)  This reading approach created more chaos then my first strategy, and I kept finding the story would circle back to previously viewed screens.  I am energized by the author's creativity and the "how" behind writing a story electronically, but I kept fluctuating between my teaching style of trying to figure out how I could help students access this piece and my own reader response of "am I doing this right?".   Pressman's article commented on the difficulty of reading electronic literature in the classroom;  she pointed out how one reads and interacts is to a great extent determined by how one navigates a reading.  I chose two different navigational approaches and received two very different experiences.  I am assuming the different experiences will hold true for every person taking Electronic Literature and reading Twelve Blue.  In a classroom a discussion of Twelve Blue with 30 different experiences occurring would be difficult, but also exciting as each reader tries to "push" for his understanding.  Perhaps freedom of exploration is ultimately the point of Twelve Blue.  Wasn't it Emily Dickinson who said, "Much madness is divinest sense, much sense divinest madness..."Debbie JeffriesDebbie Jeffries

1 comment:

  1. I think your approach was cleaver. I didn’t even think of trying patterns with this piece. Unfortunately it didn’t work here, but it was still a creative approach. Nice thinking! -Vanessa

    ReplyDelete